Comparative Study of Women in Tara and Final Solutions
This paper shows how Mahesh Dattani, a contemporary Indian writer in English, draws his inspiration to write from the bitter realities of the world, particularly society. The society of India is based on patriarchy, where the male is the centre of power and authority, and his power is unquestionable. There is no freedom, space, voice and stand of other members of the house specially the women. The position of women is always ambiguous where she struggles. In the plays of Dattani the women characters are trapped in the clutches of patriarchy and suffer.
Keywords: Mahesh Dattani’s plays, patriarchic society, women characters, women’s freedom, Indian society, Indian English literature.
1. Dattani, Mahesh. Collected Plays. New Delhi: Penguin Books, 2000. Print.
1. Bartleby. The Past Affects the Present- FKC66TRSVC. Web. https://www.bartleby.com/essay/The-Past-Affects-the-Present-FKC66TRSVC.
2. Multani, Anjali. Ed. “Introduction” In Final Solutions: Text and Criticism. New Delhi: Pencraft International, 2009. Print.
3. Nair, Anita. Mahesh Dattani - The Invisible Observer. Anitanair.net. Web.
4. Pillai, Sohini. Challenging Religious Communalism With Theatre: Mahesh Dattani’s Final Solutions. Honours Thesis Collection, Wellesley College Digital Scholarship and Archive. 2012: 34. Print.
5. Padamsee, Alyque. “Director’s Note” in Collected Plays by Mahesh Dattani. New Delhi: Penguin Books, 2000. Print.
Copyright (c) 2019 Akansha Barthwal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Before you submit your article, you must read our Copyright Notice.